Arne Lindaas (1924-2011) was a Norwegian artist and artisan. Born in Holmestrand, Norway. He has been described as an unusually active and diverse artist who has been active in several arts branches. The business included graphics, painting, wood sculpture and iron and glass design.
Arne Lindaas debuted at the autumn exhibition in 1946 and had his first solo exhibition in the Artist Association (1949). Until 1993 he had had 25 seperate exhibitions and participated in 112 collective exhibitions! He was a member of the editorial board in Bonytt 1957-60 and board member of the Norwegian Film Festival 1951-72. He was a temporary teacher at SHKS 1957-58 and was a teacher at Østfold Women’s School of Human Resource Education in 1965-69.
From 1949 to 1951 Arne Lindaas was affiliated with Magnor Glassworks. He also worked with Porsgrund’s Porcelain Factory in 1954 and head of the Applied Art Center PLUS in Fredrikstad 1958-61. For Magnor he has made dishes, carafels, glasses and plates. He has also won award winning reputation for the Sellgren & Co company in 1958.
As a graphic artist and painter, Lindaas was in charge of the decoration of among others, the Government Building (1990) and the “Garden of Eden” in the Hammersborg Tunnel at Arne Garborg’s place (1973), which was the first prize in a municipal decoration competition and has been described as his most important work as a performing artist.
Arne Lindaas has been bought by the National Gallery in Oslo, the Arts Industry museums in Oslo and Trondheim, the National Museum in Stockholm, the National Gallery and Oregon State University. He received a diploma from the Triennial in Milan in 1954 and 1957, received the Good Design Award three times from 1965-70 and the Jacob Prize in 1966. From 1964 he lived in Rømskog where he ran the gallery Sandemskolen together with his wife Guri Lindaas.